Setbacks Rules for Properties in St Johns County, FL

Ready to transform your vision into a custom house plan? Call me!

(904) 794-4500

If you are tired of searching through thousands of stock house plans?

Let’s get started today!
PDF and CAD Files

If you’re building a new home in St. Johns County, Florida

Chances are your lot is going to be subject to setback restrictions. Setbacks are imposed by municipalities to specify the minimum distance between a boundary line and your property. This stops you building your home too close to the street or your neighbor’s house.

Setbacks can vary and do not always fit into simple zoning areas. Therefore, it is important that you contact the appropriate building department to verify the setbacks relating to your property before you start the house design process. If you don’t, you may end up facing hefty penalties from the municipality and redrafting fees from your house designer.

Warning: Do not search the Internet to find the setbacks relating to your lot. The risk is high that the information will be incorrect or out of date. Be safe and make that call instead.

You need to ask for Front, Rear and Side(s) setbacks. For example, your lot may be Front 25’, Rear 10’ and Sides 8’. This indicates that your property must be set back 25 feet from the front boundary line, 10 feet from the rear boundary line and 8 feet from the side boundary lines.

If you have a corner lot, you will likely have two fronts. Therefore, you’ll have to decide which street will be the Front and which will be the Second Front (e.g. Front 25’, Second Front 20’, Rear 10’ and Side 8’).

It is very important to find out if setbacks are to the walls or the roof edge (eaves and/or overhangs). If they are to the roof edge, the size of your exterior wall footprint may need to be reduced.

It is your responsibility to verify any setbacks on your lot. If your house does not fit within the setback restrictions due to improper information, you’ll be charged extra to have your plans redrawn.

Important Note:

You will need to call the correct building department to find out all the restrictions for your specific lot.

Building Departments

I do the house plans. This is the design. The plans include floor plans and elevations. Engineering structural plans, truss engineering, contracting and building the home is done by others. The home owner, owner builder or contractor must find out all restrictions from the proper building department. Please make sure you call the correct department for your lot location (and please be very patient):

Steps to Permit

  1. Design DrawingsMcConnell Custom Design
  2. Truss Engineering – Contractor or Owner Builder
  3. Structural Engineer – Contractor or Owner Builder
  4. Permitting – Contractor or Owner Builder

McConnell Custom Design does the Design Drawings from Your Sketches, Photos and Ideas.

Truss and Structural Engineers follow and are handled by the contractor or the owner builder. If you are building yourself then you are the owner builder.

Creating a House Plan Yourself will NOT get you a Building Permit

Please read the Design Build Process for the required steps to getting a building permit.